Invisalign has certain advantages over traditional metal braces. First of all, they are virtually invisible and it will be very difficult if not impossible for people to notice them. You can also take them off when eating or for brushing your teeth, which makes the entire treatment much more comfortable than traditional braces.
But, as you may have heard, not everyone is a good candidate for Invisalign. So, are the clear aligners right for you?
Let's find out!
Who Is a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Although it's becoming more and more popular, Invisalign has limited capabilities. However, it can still treat a wide variety of dental issues, such as:
- Open bites
- Gaps between teeth
- Misaligned teeth
Keep in mind, though, that Invisalign is only effective if these issues are mild or moderate. For more severe cases, you will likely need traditional metal braces or a combination of both.
Following Through with the Treatment Is Also Essential
Patient compliance is another key aspect of the Invisalign treatment. After Dr. Patrick Stuckey established that you are, indeed, a good candidate for clear aligners, he will then explain what the treatment entails. This is very important as only those who follow the treatment to the letter can enjoy a successful outcome.
Patient compliance means:
- Wearing the aligners for up to 22 hours every day. That means that you will have to wear the trays even at night when you are sleeping.
- Only take the trays off when eating, drinking anything other than water, and for your oral hygiene.
- You need to brush your teeth after every meal or after drinking other beverages than water. You also need to rinse the aligners before putting them back into your mouth.
- You must see Dr. Patrick Stuckey every couple of weeks to get new aligners. Failing to change your aligners in time could affect the effectiveness and duration of your treatment.
- Taking proper care of your aligners. Failing to clean and store your aligners properly or eating and drinking hot beverages while wearing them could affect their shape. This can make the treatment ineffective.
- Reduce snacking as this can reduce the amount of time you are keeping your aligners on and prolong your treatment.
Find Out If Invisalign Is Right for You!
Invisalign is a great alternative to traditional metal braces. But, as you can see, it doesn't work for everyone. To find out if this treatment is right for you or if you may benefit more from traditional braces, visit us at Patrick Stuckey, DDS for a consultation. Dr. Patrick Stuckey will review your oral health and determine the best way to achieve the smile of your dreams.